Serve 4-5 people
1. 500 gr of Leonessa Penne Pasta
2. Few Spoons of Malansang Al Funghetto
3. 1 Cup pasta cooking water
4. 24.7 oz whole datterino tomatoes (2 jars)
5. 1 Clove garlic
6. Fresh Mozzarella
7. Homemade Malansang Al Funghetto:
1) 4 big eggplants
2) Oil for frying
3) Cherry tomatoes
4) A few basil leaves, torn into small pieces
5) 1 Clove garlic
6) Salt to taste
7) Olive Oil
Process to make the Malansang Al Funghetto:
1. Cut the eggplants into good-sized chunks. Toss them into a colander as you go, sprinkling them generous with salt. When you’re all done. let them sit in the colander for a good 30 minutes or more.
2. Take whole handfuls of the salted eggplant, lay it on a paper towel, then wrap up the eggplant chunks and gently squeeze to dry them as completely as possible.
3. Fry the eggplant chunks in abundant oil until they are just lightly brown around the edges. The eggplant should be tender. Lay the fried eggplant out on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
4. Heat some olive oil in a skillet wide enough to hold them all in a single layer and toss in the garlic cloves. When the garlic is just beginning to give off its aroma (no more than a few moments), remove the garlic and add the tomatoes and sauté them over a very brisk flame until they have cooked down.
5. Add the eggplant to the tomatoes in the skillet. Mix everything together very gingerly to avoid turning the eggplant (which should be quite tender) into mush.
6. Let the eggplant and tomatoes sauté over very brisk heat, tossing them from time to time, for a few minutes to let the flavors meld. Just before you’re done, add in the fresh basil and finish the cooking.
This is also the great appetizer serving with bread.
Process to make Penne Alla Sicilian:
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cherry tomatoes. Sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until softened.
2. Meanwhile, Fill a large pot with water, once the water begins to boil, give it a generous sprinkle of salt. Wait a few second until the water is rapidly boiling then adding the pasta.
3. Scoop out 1 cup of of the pasta cooking water in tomatoes sauce.
4. Cook Pasta al dente follow the time on the pack, drain pasta and add in tomatoes sauce.
5. Add few spoons of Malansang Al Funghetto and toss with pasta. Top with mozzarella and let melt slightly. Serve immediately. Makes 4-5 servings.